This is the juicy stuff! In this work, I help you develop your ideas fully and convey them as clearly as possible. You’ll get both a revision letter and edits on the manuscript itself. Depending on your project and how much editing you’re looking for, I can:
- Make sure you’re communicating what you really mean to say;
- Give careful feedback on how your ideas and language flow through the book as a whole, as well as through each chapter and paragraph;
- Identify any holes that are tripping up your work;
- Align your text with the needs and expectations of your intended audience, including making sure the assumptions you make due to your expertise don’t hinder your reader’s understanding; and
- Make some light grammar and typo fixes. (Note that new typos inevitably spring up in every phase of rewriting, so full proofreading services are offered separately.)
The ideal process for a complete developmental edit is usually iterative and collaborative; it may take multiple rounds of editing and communication to bring your material to its best possible form. You can hire me for a single pass (with lots of next-step notes included in that revision letter) or for this generative back and forth.
Offered for nonfiction only.