I offer therapeutic massage to relieve your pain; help you move with comfort and ease; and encourage a curious, engaged relationship with your own body.
To that end, your bodywork session will always be a blend of different techniques, including myofascial release, trigger point therapy, deep tissue work, structural integration (postural assessment and balancing), and Swedish massage. If you're interested, I also love offering ideas and exercises for self care to extend the benefit of each session.
I am certified in California (CAMTC #68027), I am nationally Board Certified through the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork (NCBTMB; #584696-09), and I am a professional member of the American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA).
Our bodies are intelligent, intricate, and beautiful puzzles, and working with them is a joy. Beyond effective massage technique, I offer a careful listening that creates a generous, responsive conversation between my hands and your body. I offer a space of openness, release, and ease. And I offer an understanding of bodies - both intuitive and intellectual - that's grounded in the study of anatomy and in the kinesthetic understanding built from a lifelong dance practice.
The resume, if you'd like it:
- I hold a BA from Swarthmore College in Swarthmore, PA.
- I really enjoy learning (geek alert!) and deepening my ability to effectively care for you, so I've taken continuing education classes in and/or studied: Tom Myers's Anatomy Trains structural integration, Active Isolated Stretching, functional anatomy and kinesiology, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, ligament release, BodyReading (postural assessment), and much more.
- I am Board Certified by the NCBTMB, which as of January 2013 is the highest available level of national certification.
- I am Secretary of the Claremont Wellness Professionals.
- I operated my own independent massage practice in Philadelphia, PA from 2010 to 2015.
- I was the in-house massage therapist for Monk's Cafe in Center City Philadelphia from 2012 to 2014.
- I was a massage therapist at Juju Spa & Organics from 2010 to 2012.
- I was a massage therapist at Triune Chiropractic, Counseling, and Wellness from 2009 to 2011.
- I'm a professional dance and theater performer, and was Co-Founder and Co-Artistic Director of Green Chair Dance Group from 2004 to 2014.
Photo on home page by Evan William Smith. Photos on this page by Michael Greenberg and by unknown photographer at the 2012 Philadelphia Marathon.